The modern man has a lot on his plate. The pressure to be good at everything can seem daunting and overwhelming. As if having a good job and raising well adjusted children isn’t tough enough, they then add emotionally stable, good listener and sensitive to their expectations.
Well, time to add one more iron to the fire guys… the modern man also needs to be fashionable and well groomed! Gone are the days when a guy need only look to his fellow man for fashion protocol. I will try and help identify a handful of common mistakes we, as men, make – in an attempt to prevent you from being the butt of a joke!
- Outdated Hair Style – A common mistake guys make is keeping a hair style long past the days it was “cool”. As much as you may like it, it’s no longer 1985, and is time to try something new. Not sure where to start? Go to a salon (not one of those drive through hair cutting places that charge $8.95). Set an appointment and ask the stylist for his or her advice, and then let them work their magic. They are experts and will take into consideration your needs and wants when determining a style suited best for you.
- Comb over/Toupee’s – The sad reality is that some of us will indeed go bald. The absolute worse thing you can do is to try and hide it. The only person you are fooling is yourself. Good news… bald is in! So, retire the rug and go short. You may want to add some subtle facial hair in order to add depth and interest to your face. Updating your eyewear will also be a great addition to your new look. Choose frames that suit your face and coloring. Stay away from frameless rims, for they do not add any style to your look.
- Facial Hair – Keep it trimmed and neat. No one wants to kiss someone and get a mouthful of whiskers. Invest in a good quality facial hair grooming tool. This will allow you to always be fresh and well kempt.
- Ear and Nose Hair – Just because you can’t see it when you look in the mirror, doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem. Invest in a good pair of trimmers and use them weekly.
- Cologne – As with any style that comes, it also goes. Scent is no different. Yes, Drakkar does smell good; however, if you are still wearing it, you need to run to the nearest department store and get some help! Remember 3 to 4 sprays are sufficient. Don’t bathe in it, or you may run the risk of being offensive. Too much of a good thing can be just as unpleasant as bad body odor.
- Teeth and Breath – You may not have perfect teeth. However, keep the ones you have clean. Everyone can name someone they know who has incredibly bad breath. Don’t be that person! Brush, floss and use gum or mints if you aren’t sure.
- Hands and Feet – Take time to trim your nails and cuticles. If you wear open toed anything, this is even more important. Nine out of ten men list feet as important on the female attraction scale. It is no different for women. Take time to manage your own feet and nails, trust me… women notice!
Common Fashion Mistakes
- Socks with Sandals – Do I really need to explain this?
- White Tube Socks with Shorts and Sneakers – I don’t care if you pull them up or push them down. Go with ankle or athletic socks. The less they are visible the better. This simple change will make your legs and calves look better and give you the allusion of being taller. The wait staff at Hooters gets a pass on this one! Always wear socks that are appropriate and match your outfit. If you think people won’t see or notice your socks, you’re wrong.
- Shoes and Belts – These two items should always match. If your shoes are shinny, your belt should be shiny. Black with black and brown with brown
- Gold Chains with Pendants – Unless your name is Vinnie and you drive an I-Roc Z, this is not a good look. If you fit the above description… you’re awesome and disregard this advice.
- Spandex Anything – Lance Armstrong can pull it off. You, however, shouldn’t try.
- Pleated Pants – News flash! Pleats are out and the flat front is in. Pleats tend to make you look larger and shorter than you are. The flat front pant is a sleek and stylish way to freshen up your look, and at the same time, give you the allusion of being leaner and taller than you are.
- Jeans with Tapered Legs – Jeans should fit over the top of your shoes or boots. If they don’t hang, but rather bunch at the top of your shoes, it is time to retire them. Acid and stone washed were cool for a minute, but now they aren’t… so, don’t even think about it!
- Jean Shorts – I’m not sure how they became popular, however they shouldn’t have. They don’t look good on anyone.
- Hawaiian Shirts – If you are on a cruise, or work at Bahama Breeze, they are acceptable. If you don’t… don’t!
- Ties with Funny Designs – Unless it is “Funny Tie Friday”, no one thinks it is a good look other than you.
- Short Sleeve Dress Shirts with Ties – I know it is summer and you get hot. Turn up the A.C. and deal with it. This looks ridiculous.
- Shoes – Keep them clean, polished and remember it is impossible to “dress up” sneakers. Shoes are one of those items you get what you pay for. Spend money on your shoes. Your feet, as well as your style, depend on it.
Remember, judgments are made about you within the first 10-seconds upon meeting someone. If you are not sure what you are communicating, or how you are being received… we can help! alpha m. Image Consulting was launched back in 2006 by founder Aaron Marino. Aaron realized that there was a lack of resources and options for men to receive real world help and advice regarding their image, style and grooming. Our goal is to help the modern man look and feel the best he can… everyday of his life.
by Aaron Marino